Top
Vandals Destroy Pebble Art Created in Aid For Charity – Karabi Art
fade
4388
post-template-default,single,single-post,postid-4388,single-format-standard,eltd-core-1.0,flow-ver-1.0,,eltd-smooth-page-transitions,ajax,eltd-blog-installed,page-template-blog-standard,eltd-header-type2,eltd-sticky-header-on-scroll-up,eltd-default-mobile-header,eltd-sticky-up-mobile-header,eltd-dropdown-default,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-4.9.2,vc_responsive

Vandals Destroy Pebble Art Created in Aid For Charity

Vandals Destroy Pebble Art Created in Aid For Charity

It is in the aid of charity that each year Simon Wood of Armytage Road, invests his own time working hard at the Budleigh Salterton beach to create his signature pebble art, much to the delight of visitors and for the benefit of his chosen charity.

Last weekend, however, Wood’s pebble art was vandalized and a great part of his pebble art was destroyed at night. The agony, however, did not stop there as the vandals returned on Tuesday and this time went on to rearrange his art into pornographic imagery. Wood mentioned that it was on Wednesday morning that he discovered the unfortunate addition of phallic symbols to whatever was left of his work. The imagery would definitely have shocked the visitors and Wood of course could not leave it be.

These pebble artworks from Simon Wood are created with an intent to raise funds for the National Deaf Children’s Society and as per the artist, the creations were purposely kicked away. The artist now is taking help of his friends to restore the art installation to their original state and has put any further plans to new designs on hold.

The artist, however is undeterred from returning in the coming year with his now iconic pebble art. The works that he creates here have been appreciated and encouraged by visitors from all over the world.

Among the works that were destroyed by the vandals included a shield that was created by the students from St. Peter’s Primary School, and a bus tribute to honor the ‘adopted son’ of Budleigh, Reg Varney the star from On the Buses who retired to the town.

It was a mere hours ago that the sixth piece from Simon – The Dragon was finished before the vandals took over and destroyed it. The work was meant to be a surprise for one of his friends, who quite unfortunately was not able to see it.

According to Wood, innumerable hours’ worth of work was gone. The artist said that the whole incident came as a big shock. Though there had been small incidents of troubles but this is the first big incident of vandalism that he has had to encounter. The local people and the residents of the town are equally upset and shocked by the incident.

The artist further said that it is his time that has been stolen from him. The act is not just of vandalism, but is in fact a theft of his time, which of course is priceless to anyone.

The mayor of Budleigh, Councillor Chris Kitson says that the pebble art from Simon Wood profited the town in a big way as it attracted a lot of visitors from all over. He further urged the townspeople to immediately report any such acts going on, as it is a criminal offence.

He further expressed his concern and feelings deeming the act as a shameful one where a bunch of mindless people, merely saw an opportunity and chose to destroy someone else’s hard work.

karabi
No Comments

Post a Comment

Follow us on Instagram